When You Need Buy-In or Support
- What, Who, Why.
- For what are you looking for support?
- Who does it affect?
- Why would they support it (benefits, risks)?
- Cost – Schedule – Requirements – Risk – Logistics – Any question that may be asked.
- What environmental factors affect decision making?
- Plan the meeting accordingly.
- Choose meeting time and location (when will it least impact productivity)?
- Send meeting notification, include agenda.
- Required attendees.
- Decision maker.
- People with information necessary for the decision.
- Interactive or broadcast style.
- Explain how proposal affects attendees; get involvement and discussion.
- Impact to organization.
- Benefits to team(s) or individuals(s).
- Ask clarifying questions.
- Address risk; what support is needed (specific, written, can it be done there?)
- Communication protocol.
- Specific actions.
Express gratitude and enthusiasm.