Clarifying Team Roles and Responsibilities
- Is this a new or existing team?
- Is this a temporary or permanent team? (Project vs. Functional)
- Who is the sponsor of the team?
- Describe the team objective and the metrics that will be used (e.g. timeframe, budget, specifications).
- How does this team fit within the organization?
- How will the team communicate? (set up meetings if necessary?)
- What resources are needed? (are they available? who will get them?)
- Team members (full time/part time).
- Role/Skills/Development Path/Motivated by.
- Choose meeting time and location (when will it least impact productivity)?
- Send meeting notification, include agenda.
- Ask each team member to describe their role.
- Why is this role important to the project?
- What is the measure of success?
- Ensure that everyone agrees on their own and the role of other team members.
- Write roles and responsibilities on board.
- Review communication protocol.
- Review actions (deadlines and commitments).
- Encourage camaraderie/collaboration.
Be available for support!