- What type of emotion are you dealing with?
- What is your usual reaction to this type of behavior?
- How can you defuse the emotion and help the individual?
- What will happen within the team if you don’t deal with this quickly and effectively?
- Stay calm and assess the situation.
- Acknowledge the behavior.
- e.g. “I see that there are some strong feelings around the issue.”
- Can the discussion be continued?
- If not, table it and determine follow-up.
- Do you need to isolate an individual?
- e.g. “Can we go discuss this in the conference room?”
- Equalize or neutralize the discussion.
- Use neutral ground such as a conference room.
- If you are in your office do not sit behind the desk.
- Sit at equal levels with no obstructions (this is an active listening exercise).
- Do not allow an angry person to obstruct the exit.
- Do not be completely private; keep the door partially opened.
- Take copious notes.
Maintain your composure and professionalism but be empathetic and ethical.