- Why do you want to coach? (optimize performance, change behavior, etc.)
- Are you sure it needs to be addressed?
- What is the urgency?
- What will happen if this is not addressed?
- How can you turn this into a positive?
- Coaching should result in the employee recognizing how this change will impact them positively.
- Discuss the situation from your perspective, and what you see positive.
- Ask the employee for their perspective.
- Can they identify areas that should be improved?
- Can they suggest improvement action?
- Process does not exist.
- Process broken.
- Process not followed.
- Describe the difference between performance expectation and results.
- Use specific examples.
- How does this fit into the objectives of the team?
- How does it support the goals of the individual?
- Agree to an action plan.
- Use SMART goals.
- Set follow-up meeting.
- Be available for support.
Express confidence and trust.